Taking naps along the day and night to stay awake and productive is called Polyphasic sleep.
- In monophasic sleep: a single block during a single wake-sleep cycle of 24 hours.
- Biphasic sleep is when there are two blocks in 24 hrs (at night and afternoon siesta! )
- Human babies sleep polyphasically, and gradually lose their nap slots until they become roughly biphasic around the age of one.
- The most extreme case of polyshasic sleep is the one proposed by Uberman.
- The theory behind the Uberman’s Sleep Schedule is that with some effort, we can train our brain to sleep along the cycle and gain lots of waking time on the way, mostly by shedding the lesser important stages of sleep and going straight into stage 5 (REM).
Effects of Polyphasic sleep:
- Using the Uberman schedule you would theoretically be able to sleep for just two hours and still function normally
- You disrupt normal body renewal
- Your Metabolism changes
- Famous polyphasic sleepers: Buck Fuller,Leonardo da Vinci,Napoleon,Thomas Jefferson,Benjamin Franklin,Winston ,Churchill,Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla
- You cannot sleep polyphasically without an alarm clock
- Quoting Dr Piotr Wozniak
- Healthy humans cannot entrain polyphasic sleep without a degree of sleep deprivation. It is not possible to sleep polyphasically and retain one’s maximum creativity, alertness, and health in the long run
- Whoever claims to be on a perpetual polyphasic schedule must be either suffering from a sleep disorder, or be a liar, a mutant, or a person with a mulishly stubborn iron-will that lets him plod through the daily torture of sleep deprivation