Facts on old Taj Mahal
- The iconic Taj Mahal is a Unesco World Heritage site and was built in the 17th Century
- It was completed more than 350 years ago by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan for his wife Mumtaz
- Took more than 20 years to build.
- The white marble mausoleum
Facts on new Taj Mahal
- A $1bn (£621m) project
- The Taj Arabia complex would be much bigger than the original monument to love and include a 300-room hotel, shops and commercial buildings.
- It would be ready by 2014 and be known as the “New City of Love”.
- The complex will also house other structures such as the Eiffel Tower, Pyramids and the Great Wall of China.
- The developers say they hope that the Taj Arabia will become a new wedding destination and attract couples to it.
- Taj Mahal in Dubai – Taj Arabia (kish.in)
- My big fat Taj Mahal wedding: Dubai’s plan to replicate monument is misguided romance (qz.com)