Alzheimer is not just only memory loss, it’s a progressive dementia with no known cause, cure, way of stopping or slowing down. Dementia is a severe impairment or loss of intellectual capacity and personality integration, due to the loss of or damage to neurons in the brain (nerve cells deteriorate and die).
Older people tend to become slower.. but not dumb.
Here are the 10 warning signs of Alzheimer disease in comparison to normal age-related change:
1. Memory loss that disrupts daily life
What’s a typical age-related change? Sometimes forgetting names or appointments, but remembering them later.
2. Challenges in planning or solving problems
What’s a typical age-related change? Making occasional errors when balancing a checkbook.
3.Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work or leisure
What’s a typical age-related change? Occasionally needing help to use the settings on a microwave or to record a television show
4. Confusion with time or place
What’s a typical age-related change? Getting confused about the day of the week but figuring it out later.
5. Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationship
What’s a typical age-related change? Vision changes related to cataracts.
6. New problems with words in spelling or writing
What’s a typical age-related change? Sometimes having trouble finding the right word.
7. Misplacing things and loosing the ability to retrace steps
What’s a typical age-related change? Misplacing things from time to time and retracing steps to find them.
8. Decreased or poor judgement
What’s a typical age-related change? Making a bad decision once in a while.
9. Withdrawal from work or social activities
What’s a typical age-related change? Sometimes feeling weary of work, family and social obligations.
10. Changes in mood and personality (emotional instability)
Developing very specific ways of doing things and becoming irritable when a routine is disrupted.
- Named after German psychiatrist and neuropathologist Alois Alzheimer in 1906
- If dementia care were a country’s economy, it would be the world’s 18th largest, ranking between Turkey and Indonesia. If it were a company, it would be the world’s largest by annual revenue, exceeding Walmart (US$414 billion) and Exxon Mobil (US$311 billion).
- Bilinguals workout the pre-frontal cortex (the one who decides to say goodbye or adios) and this area also increases IQ building skills like problem solving and attention switching and it pospones dementia for up to 5 years.
- Alzheimer is 6th cause of death in the US
- Predicted to affect 1 in 85 in the world by 2050
Why can you die from Alzheimer?
Its not just about your memory, you are loosing higher brain functions and learning.
So typically complications of Alzheimer’s are heart attacks, thromboembolisms, strokes,kidney failure, and lung infections due to aspiration of food. Multi-organ failure is usually the cause of death in these patients.