On a sunny day, up to a million people may crowd Rio de Janeiros beaches.
Quick facts on Rio de Janeiro
- Rio de Janeiro is the capital city of the state of Rio de Janeiro and is second largest city in the South American country of Brazil.
- This amazing city is the most visited in the southern hemisphere. Almost 3 million a year (Paris has almost 6 million)
- Rio was the capital of Brazil from 1502 to 1960, it was changed to Brasilia.
- Rio is well known for its Carnival hosted every February lasts until dawn.
- Rio is also famous due to its famous landmark, The Reedeemed Christ statue. This Worldwide symbol for peace and now one of the new 7 wonders of the world, is a 130ft tall concrete and soapstone covered figure that took nine years to complete
- Next FIFA World Cup2014, will be held in Brazil and Rio will be infested with tourists, we will wait for 2014’s tourist count.
- With the Olympics in 2016, the slums are getting a face lift, not to mention.. it’s first time the Olympics are hosted in South America.