The countries in the Central America Federation were Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Salvador and Costa Rica. This Federation was part of the first Mexican empire and became independent in 1823. Each of these countries seeked later independence and the union was effectively dissolved later in 1840
Facts about Honduras:
- Honduras, the original country where the term ‘Banana Republic’ was coined from.
- The five stars on the Honduran flag represent the five countries of Central America. With the middle star representing Honduras, because it’s the only country that touches four of the CA countries.
- They are direct descendents of the British Pirates that came here over 500 years ago. (It’s completely normal to find blonde haired, blue eyed Hondurans on the bay islands).
- Honduras was once known as Spanish Honduras, in order to differentiate it from British Honduras (now Belize).
- 80% of the territory is covered by mountains.
- There are 110 mammal species in Honduras. Half are bats
- Off the coast of Honduras lies the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System – the second largest barrier reef in the world, after Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.